More importantly it is no longer substantial to have a good degree from a good university as a fresh graduate are required to have “experience” before “experience” in order to land a tech internship.
However, fear not young readers, for this article solely focuses on attaining a tech internship within Pakistan alone, addressing some particular issues that can only be found in Pakistan when trying to land a tech internship.
I personally found it astonishing to discover that many graduates in this field are unable to properly describe what a tech internship really is. Thus, let us begin by offering concise understanding of this before diving into the process of successfully landing a tech internship.
So What Is A Tech Internship?
A technological internship commonly referred to as a “tech” internship is a white collar internship. Just as any other internship it offers in depth training for your professional career. However, unlike a trainee program this internship does not guarantee that you will land a job in the future with the same company you are interning for, nor does this internship have to be “paid” in nature.
6 Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy Steps of Landing a Tech Internship in Pakistan:
Number 1: Think Outside of the metaphorical box that is your resume;
Number 2: Do Not Be Afraid to Try or Say New Ideas;
As the world around us is becoming relatively homogeneous due to globalization a consequence of this is the “Mcdonaldlisation” of society and ideas. This basically means that people are losing traits and characteristics that are unique to them, their culture, and heritage in exchange for global trends that might seem more efficient, but which are also highly impersonal and lackluster. For this precise reason companies looking to hire interns are seeking for new ideas and pioneering projects.
Therefore, in an interview do not be afraid to give your opinion and individualistic perspective about upcoming ideas. This can show your potential employer that you are a motivated and excited about landing an internship with them, and are willing to work vigorously to succeed. More prominently, it indicates that you are a confident individual who is willing to take calculated risks in the field of innovation. This is crucial to current tech companies looking to hire interns.
Number 3: Do Your Research;
- Company’s mission statement.
- Company’s history and background.
- Company culture.
- Company’s Vision for the future.
Number 4: Power of Passion;
Passion is an innate and personal quality that can only be attained when you are genuinely looking forward to the internship; so please do show how passionate you are about the position. Especially, as it will distinguish those Pakistani interns applying simply to reach a means to an end, and those Pakistani interns applying for a genuine love of technology. Make it a point to demonstrate your wish to further your professional development and growth from a career and personal perspective in the field of tech, and let them know why their company is the place to do so.
Number 5: Be a Team player;
This is very easy, for example try using the terms “we” instead of “I” when talking about group projects or “hum” instead of “mein” if your interview is partly being conducted in Urdu. This will show the interviewer that you are probably a better working cultural fit than candidates that don’t show much interest in collaborating with their co -workers.
Number 6: Fix Up and Look Sharp;
Therefore, it is always best to dress in a professional manner. For men, a simple white/ blue collar shirt, black trousers, belt, socks and polished shoes and for women a nice shalwar kameez with tidy hair shall do the trick. Remember, personal hygiene and professional look account for a lot, especially when it comes to making first impressions. So do not falter in this regard.
- DO come prepared.
- DO be calm and composed during your interview.
- DO be confident.
- DO focus on your strengths.
- Do be conscious of personal grooming and hygiene. For example; wear deodorant (especially if it is a summer internship in Pakistan). We know internships are stressful,but we don't want you all smelly during your 10 minutes of glory.
- Do know it is okay to take your time while answering unexpected questions.
- Do not start looking for a tech internship right before the summer, plan ahead.
- Do not be robotic in your response to questions at interview/s; talk about your personal experiences.
- Do not be ignorant and vague in your response to questions either.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions related to the companies working environment.
- Do not ask questions like you have already landed the internship, no matter how well your interview went.
- Do not be disheartened if someone lands an internship based on “sefarish” when you clearly possess more talent and experience than the one who attained the internship. As in the long run, and I am telling you this from my own personal experience, talent and hard work never truly goes to waste. All it takes is a lot of patience and faith.
- Do not be afraid to be yourself and let that shine through!
Here are some YouTube videos for extra luck and preparation:
Vivacious. And making waves.